We're Middle School Students Writing about Reading!

Welcome to our blog--we're always in the middle of a good book here!

Our posts may include book reviews, original fiction, interviews with authors and bloggers, fan-fiction, fan art, and more, so join us in our journey to explore great books and learn about book blogging!


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mockingjay, a review by Jacob

Title:  Mockingjay
Author:  Suzanne Collins
Format:  Hardcover
Price: $17.99

The Hunger Games are over.  That should be a good thing, right?  Not for Katniss Everdeen.  As the Mockingjay, she joins the rebellion against the corrupt Capitol.  But, it will not be an easy flight.  She must draw the attention of the other districts to also act up against the Capitol, and kill President Snow.

Katniss is no longer the simple huntress she was.  She is hardened by too much blood and warfare in too little time.  After an attack from the Capitol that destroys Katniss' old life, she has even more personal motivation to take them down.

The theme of the book seems to me to be that things are always changing, and not always in the way you'd like them to.  Everything good comes to an end.  But in the same way, everything bad does, too.

I think that this book was overall pretty strong.  Some people don't like it as much since the Hunger Games are over, but I honestly like it more because they are over.  I really liked getting to know more about the society of Panem, and I enjoyed reading about the rebellion.  But, there are some things that I think could've gone better.  The main weak point to me seemed to be the ending.  The ending was way too sudden, and it didn't really satisfy me.  Other points were a little too sudden, but the ending really hit hard.  It was the "correct" ending to me -- everything went the way I was hoping -- but it was summed up in the last two or three pages.  The other endings of the books were good enough; they left a cliff-hanger, suspense, but this book was supposed to be the conclusion, and it just didn't seem right to me. 

Overall, I think the book deserves a well-earned 3.8 out of 5 chocolate bars.

The book's cover was, uh, pretty.  It was nice to see an actual(ish) Mockinjay.

This book, like the other Hunger Games books, has extreme violence, so be wary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!