We're Middle School Students Writing about Reading!

Welcome to our blog--we're always in the middle of a good book here!

Our posts may include book reviews, original fiction, interviews with authors and bloggers, fan-fiction, fan art, and more, so join us in our journey to explore great books and learn about book blogging!


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

Review by Up North Girl of The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 

First off, let me tell you that I am not one to cry in books or
movies. I’ll cry about things in real life, but not fantasy. Marley & Me didn’t even get me. But The Kite Runner? That book had me nearly sobbing at the end.

It was well-written, and Khaled Hosseini really has a knack for writing endings that are happy, but still make you cry. He did the same thing in A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both endings were not exactly happy, but hopeful. And for some reason that really got me. I loved the winding story of The Kite Runner and how he kept looping back to things at the beginning of the book; how Hassan named his son Sohrab after the hero in the stories that Amir read him, how Assef made another appearance, things like that.

I must warn, however; this book is NOT for the faint of heart. It was very violent, and at some parts, had some adult writing and scenes. Some of them left ME scarred, and let me tell you, I’ve read a lot of books. This one and Hosseini’s other book had me trembling. What makes it so powerful is that the horrible things that happen in it aren’t fantasy. It’s not a dystopian future. And it didn’t happen several hundred years in the past, either, which is what you expect when you think about brutal torture. It happened less than ten years ago, and in some parts of Afghanistan, it’s still going on. As I said, not for the weak hearted.
All in all, I think this was a wonderful book, and if you’re looking for a book that will really make you think, this might be the one for you.

4 ½ out of 5 chocolate bars.

Death rating for appropriateness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!