We're Middle School Students Writing about Reading!

Welcome to our blog--we're always in the middle of a good book here!

Our posts may include book reviews, original fiction, interviews with authors and bloggers, fan-fiction, fan art, and more, so join us in our journey to explore great books and learn about book blogging!


Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Book Review: The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


A book review by GIRlover230

The name of the book I read is: Uglies
The format is: paperback
The author is: Scott Westerfeld
The number of pages: 425
The price I got it at was: $8.99

The book is about a town in a time where anyone who is normal is ugly. Luckily, when you’re sixteen, you undergo a surgery that makes you pretty (in their terms). Tally, the main character, can’t wait to get her surgery done. Her best friend Paris has already gotten his surgery done and was already in New Pretty Town (that’s the town you go to when you’re pretty). Tally is three months younger than Paris so she is alone for three months until she turns pretty. So one day she decides to go visit Paris in New Pretty Town, but the thing is, Uglies are not allowed in New Pretty Town, so she sneaks in. I won’t go into details, but when she leaves she finds another Ugly named Shay. During the three months until they get their surgeries done, Shay and Tally become good friends the week before there surgeries Shay tells Tally a big secret, then gives her a map in code to tell where she’s going. She tried to talk Tally into going, but it didn’t work. I’m not going to tell any more spoilers, but they go on a big adventure.

I thought this book was good, and it has a really surprising ending.  I also liked the author's description of the characters, how detailed he was on describing things.  My favorite part was the turning point, and the big decision Tallie made in the New Smoke.  You'll find out about the New Smoke when you read the book. 

This is the first of three books. The names are Uglies, Pretties, and Specials. I liked it enough to read the rest of the series, and I'm now on the third book.  This is probably one of the first science-fiction books I've read and liked.


Rating: 5 out of 5 chocolate bars
Appropriateness: fairy princess
Where I got it: we owned it but you could get it at a book store or library.
Cover thoughts: I like it.  It fits my idea of Tallie because I imagined her with reddish-brown hair like that.  I think it's eye-catching because if it were on a shelf, I'd probably see it and go grab it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!